IMPORTANT

Hey! Thanks for dropping by, please be informed that
http://ls-lushia.blogspot.com has now moved to http://www.iloveyummyfood.com

See you there! Have A Nice Day!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Herbal Soup @ Keong Kei Poh Ban


Heading back home from work everyday, I will pass by this stall. I noticed that this place is always crowded even at the early evening. Out of curiosity, I asked my colleagues about the this stall and I was told that this stall serves delicious herbal soup. A month ago, I stopped by and looked at the menu displayed, I noticed there are actually serving wildlife dishes and soups so I drove off. The next day, I confirmed with my fellow colleagues again and they told me there are other choices of soups. Still curious and wanting to try.........I visited Keong Kei after work twice this week.

Keong Kei Poh Ban @ Changkat Thambi Dollah

Keong Kei is famous for their double boiled herbal soups and other wildlife dishes. If you are someone who enjoys soup, this is a place that you might be interested to stop by for a bowl of delicious, tasty and nourishing herbal soup.

Something about double boiling

Flip through some recipe books and you will bump into phrases like " double boil". So what does double boiling means?

Double boiling is a cooking technique to prepare delicate food. All the ingredients to prepare the food are placed into a ceramic jar and then the jar will be steamed for several hours.The double boiling also known as double steaming technique is normally used in preparing herbal soups as the technique of preparing will maintain the nourishment(essences) of the soup.

Double boiled herbal chicken soup in coconut @ RM 7.50
Soup is sweet and steaming hot. Tried this during my first visit and the soup tasted pleasant with the sweetness of the coconut. The chicken meat were soft and coated with the taste of herbs.

Double Boiled Ginseng Roots with Chicken Soup @ RM 5.00
Soups were prepared with hairs of ginseng roots and tasted slightly bitter .I tried a spoon and that's enough.~lol~ I don't like the taste but I guess it's nourishing and tonifying.Ginseng is a herb that helps to replenish "qi".

Double Boiled Dried squids Lotus Root Soup @ RM 5.00
An all time chinese favorite soup which helps to dispell internal heat. Older lotus root is used as it taste better for preparing soups. I don't like the pungent smell of dried squids sometimes as it may covered the original taste of the soup. Keong kei serves a good Lotus Root Soup, although dried squids is one of the ingredient used, the smell of the dried squids and the lotus root soup were just nice!

Double boiled Herbal Chicken Soup @ RM 5.00
Taste of the soup?- Must ask Ah Choy!

Curry wild boar @ RM 5.00

Pork belly with preserved mustard cabbage @ RM 5.00

Keong Kei serves two excellent dishes which is the curry wild boar and the pork belly preserved mustard cabbage. As for the curry wild boar, the meat were soft and tender. I wonder how they prepare the dish. A lot of meat tenderizer I assume?

Pork belly with preserved mustard cabbage, my all time favorite dish! Added another kick* to my dinner!

Iceberg Lettuce @ RM 5.50

Not everyone has the luxury time to prepare herbal double boiled soup. I believe the soups prepared by Keong Kei are free from preservatives and artificial flavorings. Keong Kei serves delicious double boiled herbal soup which is a place that you wouldn't want to miss!

Address:
Jalan 1/77B
Changkat Thambi Dollah,
Off Jalan Pudu
(Opposite Shaw Parade main entrance)
Business hour: 4 pm- 10 pm
Rest day: Tuesday

No comments: