IMPORTANT

Hey! Thanks for dropping by, please be informed that
http://ls-lushia.blogspot.com has now moved to http://www.iloveyummyfood.com

See you there! Have A Nice Day!

Monday, January 5, 2009

Restaurant Ho Boh (Lei Cha)


When one mentioned about Hakka Cuisine, automatically some not so good comments start dancing in my mind. Many years back, my mom told me I won't like it! especially "Lei Cha"........ So I have heard about this restaurant named Ho Boh!


I noticed there are more and more outlets of Restaurant Ho Boh which apparently serves Hakka cuisine. Well, if Hakka cuisine is not favorable, why are there more and more of this restaurant? Okay- Don't tell me the Hakka Heritage is growing fast, not much deep thoughts on this issue!

About Hakka Cuisine
The Hakkas are a subgroup of Han Chinese based in the province of Guangdong, Jiangxi & Fujian of CHina. Hence, Hakka cuisine is believed to be originated from Southeastern of China ( Guangdong & Fujian).

The Hakka culture is known for a diverse range of rice, meat(pork) cuisine and preserved vegetables cuisine. Some of the famous Hakka dishes would be pounded tea(lei cha), duck stuffed with glutinous rice, abacus beads ( suan pan zi), poon choi(varieties of ingredients served in basin) and also sliced pork with preserved mustard (mui choy khao yuk).

Restaurant Ho Boh @ Jalan Puchong
It's a restaurant that I have considered to step in for quite sometime and finally I did! Am quite surprised that I indeed insist to order the dish that I was told not to try! It's not a restaurant with extensive menu, in fact it is just a normal home cook style restaurant that serves Hakka cuisine with reasonable price.

Pounded Tea (Lei Cha 擂茶) @ RM 5.90
Deng deng deng deng..................This is Lei Cha! A famous Hakka cuisine known as pounded tea in English. A mixture of tea leaves (usually green tea), mint leaves, mung beans, peanuts and herbs pounded into fine powder then mixed as a drink served with rice topped with varieties of vegetables.

Honestly, I don't like the taste of the tea. Tasted too raw for me.... but the rice topped with vegetables and dried shrimps was simple and yet satisfying. Side dished includes pickled radish, sliced to fu and peanuts.

Sliced pork with preserved mustard (Mui Choy Khao Yuk) @ RM 8.00
This is my favorite dish and I didn't realise that this dish is one of the Hakka cuisine until my this post. Well, the sliced pork with preserved mustard served by this restaurant failed to please me. Not a good one........

Suan Pan Zi- Abacus Beads @ RM 8.00
Abacus beads, another famous Hakka dish made of tapioca and yam cut into abacus beads shape. The abacus beads were soft, springy and chewy. The abacus beads were fried with portion of dried squids, mushrooms and cut chillies and the aroma of the dried squids complemented the dish.

So, have you tried Lei Cha? Will you..................?? I will be back to try other dishes!!

Address:
Restaurant Ho Boh
21A, Jalan TK 1/11A, Taman Kinrara,
Seksyen 1, Jalan Puchong, Batu 7 1/2,
47100 Puchong Selangor

3 comments:

Gary Liew said...

hey there... as a Hakka myself... i personaly love 'lei cha' very very much... i usually don't sample from outside coz they sell at a high price and yet little ingredients..

My mom is the best 'lei cha' cooker! A lot of ppl says so too! Hee hee...

LS said...

Hahahaha...so next time i muka tembok sikit tumpang eat at your house, then post for it! I fine "lei cha" a very healthy meal especially with lots of vege!

Gary Liew said...

well.. u r most welcome to savour my moms cooking. My wife skills isn't bad too! maybe one day we should meet up and cook "lei Cha' together!